News & Insights



Real Property

So you have made the decision to proceed with a partition to divide or sell jointly-owned property.  Much like with any other litigation, the question of “how it works” naturally presents itself.

First, you must establish your prima facie entitlement to partition by demonstrating ownership and right to possession, typically by presenting a duly executed deed.  Importantly, you do not have to be residing in or on the property in order to have a right to partition.  Once you have provided the court with the requisite proof, the court typically refers the parties to a referee to determine the ownership interest of each co-owner of the property and, as addressed in our last post, to determine whether the property can be physically divided without great prejudice to the owners.  If such a partition in kind cannot be accomplished, the property is sold at a public, advertised auction.

Do parties always see partition actions through to the sale at auction?  As you can imagine, the combination of the parties’ costs owed to the referee and the loss in sale price almost guaranteed with a public auction can be enough in many instances to force the parties to sit down and come to agreeable terms.  In some cases, perhaps one owner agrees to purchase the other owners’ interests in the property.  In other cases, the parties agree to have a broker sell the property privately and split the sale proceeds accordingly.  Either of these options is far more cost effective than allowing your jointly-owned property to be sold at public auction, but where rights to land and property are concerned, our first reaction can be emotional.  Unfortunately, the nature of the beast dictates that letting emotion rule your decision-making in a partition proceeding will certainly cost you not just grief, but quite a bit of money.

Recent Posts

Impact of Shorter COVID-19 Quarantine on Workplaces

On Monday, the CDC announced changes to its recommended isolation and quarantine time from 10 days to 5 days for asymptomatic people with COVID-19. They recommend that people leaving isolation after 5 days continue to wear a mask for the following 5 days. The CDC also...

Restaurants Sue Over Vaccine Mandate

Restaurant operators sued Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City over Key to NYC, the new indoor vaccine mandate program, on August 17-the same day the mandate went into effect. A group of restaurants in Staten Island, through the Independent Restaurant Owners...

Financial Regulators’ New Target: Social Media Influencers and SPACs

The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) will conduct three new regulatory sweeps in an effort to combat various activities causing extreme fluctuations in the financial markets. FINRA has chosen to target special purpose acquisition companies (“SPACs”),...

Does WARN Apply to Virus Closures?

Enterprise, in Benson et al. v. Enterprise Leasing Co. of Florida LLC et al., has tried to argue that the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (“WARN”), through its natural disaster exception, does not apply to closures caused by COVID-19. Two Florida...